Henman or News?
- Over 50% of UK households have digital TV
- It is not technically possible with the current BBC transmission setup to broadcast regional programming on digital versions of BBC Two in England. Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland all have this ability.
- The BBC East Yorks and Lincs service from Hull is not technically able to provide any service on analogue BBC Two.
- The BBC spends a lot of money telling people about how fantastic digital TV is.
Now consider a situation that has happened tonight, and indeed several times over the last few years.
- Tim Henman is playing a tennis match which means that tennis coverage is moved to BBC One and regional news is moved to BBC Two.
- Digital viewers in England are invited to turn back to analogue.
Sometimes you just wonder…
Incidentally BBC Scotland did something very interesting – they moved the tennis to BBC Two and put the news on on BBC One instead.